OpenApply’s V3 API uses OAuth 2.0 authentication. To generate a Client ID and secret;
- Go to: Integrations > Public API
- Enable the public API if the checkbox hasn’t been selected yet.
- Scroll down to Oauth API (v3)
- Click Add Application
- Enter the relevant application name with a recognisable name, so that you can keep track of which applications can access your data.
- Click Save Changes
The Client ID and Secret will be stored, ready to copy into your application.
Setting up Oauth 2.0 authentication in Postman
Select the collection of Open Apply endpoints and open the Authorization tab.
- Select authentication type Oauth 2.0
- Add auth Data to Request Headers
- Scroll down to Configuration Options under Configure New Token. Select Client Credentials.
- Enter the Access Token URL. If you just want to access your school’s Open Apply API you can just use your URL in the below format. In the example given we use variables and add the base URL values to an environment instead. This keeps all access information stored separately, so that it cannot be exported with the collection and shared accidentally.
The variables are defined on the Variables tab of the Collection page, and later in the Environment as well:
- & 6. It is most important to define the Client ID and Secret as variables and store these in an environment, so that no authentication information is stored in the collection. This example shows the school with baseUrl: https://f1.openapply.com/api/v3
- Click Get new Access token to generate a new access token.
- The token will automatically be saved in the Bearer token section. This token lasts for 30 days and can be refreshed at any time by clicking Get New Access token.